Thursday, September 5, 2013

Move To Scotland

We’ve finally done it. 36 hours later, and we’re checked into our hotel room about to fall asleep. The summer that seemed endless, the date that seemed so far off in the distance has come and gone.

The journey here was pretty tiring. My dad claims that he saw a rodent on the plane: whether he was serious or hallucinating, we may never know. Of course my mom is angry that the first Scottish boy to give me his phone number did so before our flight even landed in Scotland. She should be proud. (And can you really blame me when a cute Scottish boy sits next to you on a cramped plane for seven hours?)

Traveling through the airport with our amount of luggage was embarrassing. The number of bags we have shall remain unknown to my readers.

My parents are obnoxiously overwhelmed with the culture. They keep pointing out kilts. My dad tried to get on the passenger side of the vehicle and hopped in the driver seat (they drive on the other side of the road.) They can’t understand a single word anyone says: it’s an accent, NOT another language! I love them, but I’m definitely more in my element here than they are.

Before the big move, I’d spent an immense total of twelve hours in Scotland. I’d never seen the campus except for the few glimpses that Google Images can provide. It’s all I could’ve imagined and more. It’s so beautiful. You can look at pictures, but they don’t come close to the beauty in person. I hope some of my images can give you a glimpse of what it really is like, but you’ll have to visit to see what I mean J

The day quickly flew by as we tried to set up a bank account, get a UK phone, buy a guitar and bike- you know, college essentials. It’s a very small town, but it’s going to be an amazing place to explore over the coming years. If you tell anyone that you’re going to be a fresher at uni, they reassure you that St. Andrews is “an incredible school, very safe town, and has an extremely fun night life.” I definitely feel more comfortable and settled, but ask me how I’m feeling on Saturday after I carry all of my bags to the fourth floor of the flat building.

I’m off to rid myself of airport stank and go to bed for a 7AM wakeup call, (1AMfor all my friends in Houston.) I apologize if this post is incoherent or grammatically incorrect, hopefully my next post will be written after I’ve had a bit more rest. For now, that’s all I have to say. My unexpected adventure is off to an interesting start! 

No comments:

Post a Comment