Monday, November 18, 2013

Go To A Rugby Match

Yesterday I went to Edinburgh to watch my first live rugby match! Despite Scotland’s loss- it was a great time and unforgettable experience.

The bus arrived in Edinburgh around 12:15, so we had almost three hours to explore before the start of the match. I’d only been to Edinburgh once before, so it was nice to walk around and enjoy the brief moment of sunshine. My friend and I walked along different main roads, ate lunch, and managed to make it to the castle as well!

On the walk back to the stadium, everyone was revved up and ready for the start of the game. People on the streets stopped us to paint our faces and get us in the spirit. Cute children have also found a way to monopolize the bagpipe business- there were about three or four kids playing on the street along the way, and they were too adorable to ignore. It was incredible.

 I couldn’t wait to be in the stadium and watch the match- I’ve missed being home and going to the Texans game, so I was hoping that rugby would remind me of American football. When we entered the stadium, they were playing the stereotypical pump-up music but with bagpipes added in, which was awesome.

 They started the match with the singing of the national anthems (Scotland was playing South Africa) The crowd was so passionate. Scotland unfortunately lost the match 28-0, but despite this, I loved watching every minute. Luckily I was sitting with a friend that watches rugby, so he could fill me in when I had no idea what was happening.

 The match finished with just enough time for us to grab a hot chocolate before getting back on the bus. I had such a great time experiencing something new and getting out of the St. Andrews “Bubble” for a day. It was also a good distraction to have from missing my mom and brother- since they left after a wonderful few days of visiting :) It was an unforgettable day, and I hope to go to another in the future. 

Edinburgh Castle

Castle

American Candy World


No comments:

Post a Comment