Thursday, March 13, 2014

Mardi Gras in New Orleans 2014

            The weekend before last I experienced my first Mardi Gras in New Orleans, Louisiana. I pulled two “all-nighters” beforehand to finish papers before leaving, and it was completely worth it.

            I flew from Scotland to the states on Thursday morning, arrived Thursday night, and went straight to partying in the streets and watching parades. I met my dad at the airport and quickly met up with one of my best friends at the hotel. Thursday night was the Muses parade, which features the famously decorated shoes and shoe beads. Despite not catching a shoe, while the man next to me gloated about his, I had a great time. My goal of the trip was to eat as much king cake as possible. Thursday night I was so happy to see a man pulling a cart on his bicycle selling “mini king cakes.” My first night on the trip, and I could already have king cake?! I happily purchased two. I WAS DECEIVED. They were just bagels with icing (still delicious, did not stop me from eating them) BUT STILL- NOT KING CAKE. To be fair, I probably should have taken the sketchy bicycle salesman as a warning sign, but what’s to stop a girl from excitement at the potential of king cake?

            I spent most of the day on Friday catching up on sleep. The lack of sleep and time difference hit me hard. I did get to explore the city some with my dad, which was loads of fun. Due to his recent leg surgery, our mode of transportation was a pedicab- always a blast. Friday night there were more parades. It actually is quite a workout jumping up and down trying to catch as many beads as possible.

            Friday night my brother and some of his friends joined us, and I was so excited to see them. I actually ran into him on the streets of New Orleans (buying fried chicken on a stick, because why not?) We decided to head back to the hotel and order some delicious Dominos. It was fantastic. There’s some great pizza in Scotland, but this was simply delicious.

            Saturday morning I hit Bourbon Street with my brother and his girlfriend. Bourbon Street is actually crazy. Everyone is drunk and all over the place 24/7. We saw a woman with a whip that went around to men who willingly lowered their pants to be smacked by her. People are absolutely wild and willing to show anything for some beads… anything. It’s definitely an experience everyone should have at some point. My favorite advertisers were screaming “huge ass beers!” and “Happy Mardi Gras bitch!” Who could resist?

            Saturday night the real festivities began. My dad was in the Endymion parade, which is simply huge and incredible. The extravaganza spent 3 million on beads alone. The party was in the superdome, so I was with thousands of my closest friends. There are no words to describe the parade. We were at the front and were consistently pelted with beads. (It was actually painful at times! I got bruises) My dad actually recognized me from the float and attacked me with beads. After this Carrie Underwood performed. The night was so well organized and simply amazing.

            Sunday morning we went to “Mother’s,” which is delicious. After, we walked around Bourbon street again- I was definitely more uncomfortable with my dad there. We had a great day bonding and enjoying the weather and sights. Sunday night we ordered room service and watched the Oscars, a perfect ending to my much too short weekend.

            Monday I was off to Scotland. The flights were stressful- I actually missed one (long, stupid story) and had 16 minutes to get off one plane, change terminals, and board another before it took off, but I made it!

            I had an incredible time watching my dad in the parade and seeing some family and friends. I definitely missed seeing my momma, oldest brother, and sister-in-law though! Mardi Gras was a very unique experience, and I’d love to go back at some point.

 









No comments:

Post a Comment